What is the ONE-MIND study?
The ONE-MIND study aims to help people coping with cancer by providing an online mindfulness meditation program called Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery to those undergoing chemotherapy treatment.
What is Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery? What are the benefits?
Mindfulness Based Cancer Recovery, or MBCR, is a mindfulness meditation program designed specifically for people living with cancer.
Those who complete MBCR learn principles of mindfulness and how to effectively apply these principles to cope with stress and illness. Those who participate in MBCR learn techniques such as meditation, relaxation, body awareness exercises, and gentle yoga.
Benefits of MBCR include better stress management and mood, and fewer negative symptoms and side-effects related to cancer treatments.
Am I eligible to participate?
To participate, you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Live in Alberta
- Have received a diagnosis of breast cancer or colorectal cancer
- Be scheduled to undergo chemotherapy or recently began chemotherapy
- Be comfortable reading, writing, and speaking in English
- Have access to high-speed internet and a device (e.g., tablet, computer)
To receive additional information about the study and to determine your eligibility, please fill out the contact form below and we will reach out to you shortly.
What will I have to do if I participate?
- Complete online surveys about your experiences with symptoms related to cancer and cancer treatments, before and after completing the mindfulness program
- Participate in 12, 55-minute online mindfulness classes, which are delivered live so you can interact with the facilitator and other participants
- You will be randomly assigned (like flipping a coin!) to participating in mindfulness right away (during chemotherapy), or participating in a few months (when you are done chemotherapy)
- Participation is free of cost; we only ask for your time
Contact us!If you are interested in participating in the ONE-MIND study, please complete the contact form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.
You can also email our study coordinator, Michelle Flynn, at firstname.lastname@example.org, for general inquiries and to assess your eligibility.